One of my favorite memories as a kid was baking with my grandmother. As a child of the ’80s and ’90s, we didn’t exactly cook with the healthiest ingredients. I feel like the ’90s were the heyday of bleached flour and refined sugar. Nonetheless, I wanted to give my son the same memories but with a bit less processed sugar! In truth, he still prefers fruit over baked goods, but he does like to cook with me.
These toddler-approved Banana Nut Protein Muffins use honey instead of white sugar. They aren’t overly sweet, but I add a tablespoon of brown sugar. The molasses from the brown sugar gives these the classic banana bread flavor I crave without breaking the caloric bank. You can omit this for lower sugar muffin. I also use a half cup of protein powder along with 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour, but you can simply use 1 ½ cups of flour or flour alternative if you don’t have protein powder on hand. You won’t get the added protein, but you’ll still get a delicious treat!
Banana Nut Protein Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- Measuring Utensils
- Large Bowl
- 1 cup Unbleached Flour or Flour Alternative
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 4 tbsp Unsalted Butter melted
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Skim Milk
- 1 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar (optional, included in macro count)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper wrappers. Optional: Spray wrappers with cooking spray for baking. This will ensure that you get to eat every sweet morsel of these muffins!
- Mash ripe bananas with a fork in a large bowl. Add melted butter, eggs, honey, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Stir in protein powder until well combined. Stir in flour ½ cup at a time. Once everything is well mixed, spoon into muffin tins, dividing evenly. Top each muffin with a pinch of chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes and let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy.
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out our Pumpkin Muffin blog post here. Enjoy!